American Oystercatcher at Crescent Bay, 1/5

  • Charles
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2013
      Hi all:

      I finally saw the American oystercatcher this morning at Crescent Bay in Laguna Beach (I think this was my fifth attempt at locating him). This took place at around 7:45 this morning.

      I also stopped by the Santa Ana river between PCH and Hamilton, but was not able to find the mute swan last reported there on January 1st. I've been out there five or six times and have yet to see the swan, and at this point I'm assuming that the swan has moved on. If anyone else spots the mute swan at this (or any other) location, please post that info or email me, so I can give it another try. Thanks.

      Charles Baker
      Tustin
    • Brian Daniels
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 5, 2013
        Charles and all,

        I believe there's only been one pied oystercatcher with the Black Oystercatchers being seen off of Crescent Bay Overlook in Laguna Beach. Its a first year bird with dusky tip to red bill that was first reported last year in late October as a hybrid. Subsequent observers and those evaluating the photos have scored the bird using the Jehl Scale as in the hybrid range between Black and a "good" American Oystercatcher.

        I saw the bird on December 24 and it looked pretty good to me for a good American Oystercatcher until it raised its wings showing mostly dark rump and upper tail coverts.

        Good birding,

        Brian Daniels
        Long Beach, Orange County