Eurasian Collared Dove

  • Ed Stonick
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2002
      OC Birders:

      Are there any populations of Eurasian Collared Doves in Orange County, especially around Disneyland? My wife and I were at the Grand Hotel right in the park, and there was a rather large, whitish dove perched on the roof. I didn't have my binoculars (as Disneyland isn't exactly a birding mecca, except for crows, starlings, house sparrows, etc.)

      Incidentally, if you've never looked through the Grand Hotel you might want to some time. It was built according to the designs of the Arts and Crafts movement (Greene and Greene, etc.). At each staircase landing are two large ceramic containers. They are caricatures of actual California birds, including CAQU, both pelicans, Tufted Puffin, Great Horned Owl, and several others.

      Regards,
      Ed

      Ed Stonick
      Pasadena, CA