Zone-tailed and Ferruginous Hawks, Lake Forest

  • tonybrake@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2013
      This was my third try to see the Zone-tailed Hawk at Lake Forest. I
      arrived at Paseo Sombra, just off Trabuco Rd. at 2:15, and there were no
      Turkey Vultures yet roosting in the eucalyptus trees near the clubhouse.
      A few Turkey Vultures trickled in over the next 30 minutes. At 2:50 a
      juvenile light-morph Ferruginous Hawk flew in from the north and perched
      in a tree across the street from the trees used by most of the Turkey
      Vultures. It stayed for almost an hour. I suspect this is the same bird
      that I saw along Bake Parkway a few days earlier as I was heading to
      this area.

      At 3:04 the Zone-tailed Hawk approached from the north along with a
      number of Turkey Vultures. It circled for a few minutes, then flew to
      the west and then disappeared from view. At 3:50 it returned from the
      north and proceeded to circle over the area while being mobbed by 2
      American Crows. It eventually flew off to the southwest. I then lost
      sight of it and left at 4:00.

      A few photos can be found here:
      http://tinyurl.com/bjp9m8A

      Tony Brake
      Point Richmond, CA

    • tonybrake@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2013
        It seems that the link to my photos of the Zone-tailed and Ferruginous
        Hawks doesn't work. This one should be OK:
        http://tinyurl.com/bjsmqcd

        Tony Brake
        Point Richmond, CA