Dana Pt Loon = Pacific

  • Zopteryx
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2012
      (12/7/12) I refound the troublesome loon this afternoon and confirmed that it is indeed a PACIFIC LOON. Other than the extensive white on the sides; its brown color, beak, and chinstrap matched perfectly for a typical Pacific. Today's overcast conditions allowed for clearer views and a better ID. It was swimming with its partner (also a Pacific) around the kayak rental area. At one point an adult Red-throated Loon joined them and allowed for a great comparison.

      A big thanks to all those that beared with me during this wild loon chase!

      Happy Birding,
      Zachary Perry
      Ladera Ranch