Bolsa Chica Birds

  • borodayko
    Message 1 of 47 , Aug 28, 2002
      I was at Bolsa Chica this afternoon, Aug 28, and found the following
      birds of interest:

      A Marsh Hawk (Excuse MEEEEE Northern Harrier)hunting along the dirt
      path on the east side of the channel about 50 yards north of the end
      of the fence near the wooden bridge. This was about 2:30PM. What was
      unusual is that it was a male (gray) which is less commonly seen.
      Eventually it landed in the pickleweed on the edge of the bay at the
      bend where the trail turns west and let me get within 40 feet of it
      for good views.

      I searched for the Red-necked Grebe and was able to locate it at the
      edge of the pickleweed meadow approx 200 yards south of Warner Ave
      along PCH. It was in a small recess in the pickleweed where the
      pickleweed is fairly wide and extends east away from PCH into the
      channel. This was about 3:00PM.

      Approximately 100 feet away to the south, in the sparser pickleweed,
      was a Meadowlark.

      On the way back to the parking lot, I spotted a White-tailed Kite
      sitting on a low bush on the far side of the pond that is east of the
      dirt trail and about 100 yards south of the flood gates (just south of
      the the end of the fence). This was at approx 3:45PM.

      Regards, Al Borodayko
      Cypress, CA
    • borodayko2000
      Message 47 of 47 , Nov 8, 2015

        Greetings,

        This morning beside the feeding frenzy of White and Brown Pelicans at the wooden bridge, there was herd of Redheads in Wintersberg Channel at the first bridge east of the tide gates. In that herd were 10 sporting their namesake colors.

        Regards, Al Borodayko

        Cypress, CA