Red-necked Grebe

  • borodayko
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 25, 2002
      Greetings,

      I spotted the red-necked Grebe this morning, Sun Aug 25, at approx
      10:30 AM. I had been photographing sandpipers along the trail on the
      east side of the channel, between the flood gates and the wooden
      bridge, since about 8:00 AM with only occasional looks north of the
      flood gates. As I was leaving for home, I drove north on PCH and
      spotted it from the car in the channel about 50 yards north of the
      flood gates. I returned to the parking area and walked back to the
      flood gates. By the time I got there, it had swam to the third "No
      Stopping" sign north and heading for Warner Avenue but hugging the
      western edge (alongside PCH). Two photographers were trying for
      pictures along the PCH bike path. They eventually gave up. I went back
      to my car and drove to the Warner Ave parking lot.

      As I drove down PCH, I watched along the edge of the channel and saw
      where it had stopped. From the Warner Avenue lot, it was at the point
      where the pickleweed meadow ends and becomes a thin strip as the
      pickleweed continues south along PCH. This is approx 150 t0 200 yards
      south of Warner Ave. I met a birder/photographer from Fresno and
      together we were able to approach the grebe slowly and managed to get
      close enough for good shots. At noon, we left the bird. It appears
      like the grebe ranges a lot farther in the channel than when it was
      first found two weeks ago. It also is a bit more wary, maybe its tired
      of the paparazzi.

      Regards, Al Borodayko
      Cypress, CA
    • borodayko
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 7, 2002
        I spotted the Red-necked grebe on Fri. Sep 6, at 9:00 AM at Bolsa
        Chica in the channel just south of Warner Ave. Best view was from the
        bluff directly behind the Refuge Visitor Center (trailer).

        Regards, Al Borodayko
        Cypress, CA
      • tcoop3r76
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 15, 2009
          While taking a stroll around Dana Point harbor this afternoon I noticed an adult RNGR near the boat ramp. Also in the area were two Horned Grebes, two Pacific Loons, and a Red-thoated Loon. Hopefully they stick around for the CBC this weekend.

          Cheers,

          Travis Cooper
          San Juan Capistrano
        • wagtail1997
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 15, 2009
            I'm not sure where this original message is in cyberspace.... and perhaps it will resurface....but I'll repeat it here.

            Joel Weintraub

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 29, 2010
              This afternoon 2:20PM there is an adult red-necked grebe in Newport Bay, approximately 100m west of the bridge at Dover and PCH separating Upper and Newport Bay.

              Richard Thunen
              Newport Beach