Juvenile Reddish Egret

  • ocbirding
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 2002
      William and I went to see if the juvenile Reddish Egret was still
      near the Victoria Street bridge in the Santa Ana River, as reported in
      the Orange County Rare Bird Alert yesterday.

      It was indeed, and was very actively fishing in the shallow water
      just downstream of the bridge. Nice!

      Enjoyed all the other birds also, including the two unexpected Ash-
      throated Flycatchers working the bushes next to the bike path right
      behind us.

      Delores Jenisch
      Fullerton, North Orange County, California, USA
    • a055894
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 4, 2002
        It still there as of Sunday the 4th from 4 - 6pm. Two guys with
        telescopes pointed it out to me.

        I parked at the end of Atlanta St. and walked to Victoria. Outside
        the last house on the right side of Atlanta St there was a row of
        palm trees. One had a little birdnest, that looked a lot like a
        basket suspended between two leafs of a palm frond. A small greenish
        bird would dart in and out but I never got a good look. What might
        that have been? While waiting for that bird to come in and out, a
        kingbird perched on the wire over my head. What kind? Probably
        Cassin's. I'm new at this. Then a hooded oriole stopped by on the
        same wire, and later flew to a neighboring house's antenna. Also saw
        two American Kestrels on a wire over the field between Atlanta and
        Victoria. Not to mention all the water birds in the river, bushels
        of red tailed hawks and the usual finches, sparrows, dove and the
        like. A pretty good 2 hours.

        Rick Shearer, Fountain Valley