Mystery Orange/Red Black-Hooded Bird

  • pccniles
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2002
      I'm having trouble identifying a bird that visited my backyard feeder
      for quite a while this afternoon (even though I have Audubon's
      Western Birds handbook, the Peterson Field Guide and The Sibley
      Guide). Here is what I observed:

      The bird was about the size of, or maybe slightly larger than, a
      finch and was ground feeding right along with a handful of them; he
      had a deep black head (forehead, crown, chin, extending down into the
      throat area) the body (nape, breast, flank, back and possibly part of
      its belly) was a bright orange/red; the mantle was rust color while
      the wings were streaked black/gray. I noted too, underneath him
      (possibly the belly or more likely lower portion of the wings) a more
      defined black & white.

      He was busy but not overly nervous; very-finch like in behavior.

      The closest look-alike in Sibleys is on page 537, the Orange Bishop,
      but isn't very close really. The body type is off somewhat, as is
      the overall coloring other than the orange/red and hood. But it
      gives a basic idea of what I saw.

      Any ideas?

      Pam Niles
      Northern San Clemente