Riley Wilderness Park

  • borodayko
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2002
      I went to photograph hummingbirds at Riley Wilderness Park in Coto de
      Casa on Sunday morning, Jun 30, and saw the following:
      Anna's Hummingbirds (several)
      Costa's Hummingbirds (several)
      Oak Titmouse (several)
      Acorn Woodpecker (several)
      Red-winged Blackbird (several)
      House Finch (many)
      Lesser Goldfinch
      Red-shouldered Hawk
      Red-tailed Hawk
      Mourning Dove
      Blue Grosbeak (adult male up close)
      Lark Sparrow
      California Towhee (several)

      In addition, I saw a coyote and two mule deer.

      Regards, Al Borodayko
      Cypress, CA
    • borodayko2000
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 14

         Greetings,

        I spent the morning from 7:00 AM to 11:00 AM at Riley Wilderness Park. Beside the usual suspects, I found the two Lewis' Woodpeckers. One bounced around between the sycamores in the parking lot and the lone Live Oak in the meadow north of the corrals. The second was in a Live Oak chasing away Acorn Woodpeckers at the junction of the three trails south of the nature center.

        There were tons of Band-tailed Pigeons. They were everywhere. The number of Lark Sparrows has decreased from my last visit. The few remainers were at the feeder in the nature center.

        There was a Bobcat just off the trail near the second Lewis" Woodpecker location.

        Regards, Al Borodayko

        Cypress, CA