Bolsa Chica birds

  • lori conrad
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 30, 2002
      Hi

      As per the earlier posting by Andrew Lee, I too saw the Laughing Gull at Bolsa Chica today, flying away from the boradwalk, toward the tern colony. Maybe we were there at the same time! Also there, was the Little Blue Heron, & the interesting looking white Willet. Behind the fence, in with several Western Sandpipers, were 6 Wilson's Phalaropes, & a couple of early Dunlin. Also, there was a sad Least Tern, that somehow managed to get his lower mandible grasped onto by a clam! He tried unsuccessfully to fly up & shake it off, but it wouldn't let go. I just hope that the clam dies quickly, being out of the water, & then loosens its grip. At San Joaquin Marsh, there was a juvenile White Faced Ibis &
      an immature Virginia Rail, both in Pond D (& a Coyote).
      Lori

    • borodayko
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 12, 2002
        Greetings,

        I received a call from a friend of mine who was birding at Bolsa Chica
        around midday to inform me of a breeding plummaged Red-necked Grebe
        (RNG) out by the flood gates. I was there this morning when the tide
        was low and all I saw there were shorebirds so it must have arrived
        after I left. He said it was kind of lethargic, resting in the corner
        of the channel near the locked gate adjacent to PCH. At approx 2:00 PM
        I got there and the grebe was about 100 feet north of the flood gate
        resting on the edge of the pickleweed (water level was into the
        pickleweed) along PCH. The grebe was in good plummage although the red
        on the neck was losing some of its brightness. Shortly thereafter, it
        swam out into the channel and started diving. I noticed it caught a
        fish on at least one occasion. Apperently, it needed some rest and
        regained its energy in those few hours. At 3:30 PM it was still
        fishing about 200 yards north of the flood gates.

        Also, as I was walking to the flood gates to check out the RNG from
        the parking lot, I noticed an extremely pale (almost white sides, neck
        and back) merganser. It was swimming toward the wooden bridge area
        about halfway between the bridge and tide gates. On my way back, I saw
        it one last time preening. It was on the edge of the bank in the
        pickleweed and cattails where the edge turns out away from the tarmac
        trail, about 200 yards north of the bridge. This must be the year for
        albino types.

        The third noteworthy bird was the Little Blue Heron which flew into
        the green bushes 50 yards south of the flood gates adjacent to PCH. It
        preened on a branch on the edge of the channel along with the egrets
        and night herons that frequent that resting spot.

        Regards, Al Borodayko
        Cypress, CA
      • jedibirder
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 16, 2002
          Here are some highlights of my walk this morning at Bolsa Chica. At
          7:15am, I saw the Little Blue Heron from the boardwalk. The bird was
          working the northern edge of the pickleweed patch that the boardwalk
          passes over.

          I saw the Red-necked Grebe at 7:45 and watched it for 15 minutes. It
          was working the waters north of the flood gates. The bird appeared to
          be feeding, but not in the normal grebe manner of diving, but would
          stick his head just under the water for minutes a time. He swam
          towards the sandbar and then turned and worked back towards the
          pickleweed on the PCH side of the estuary.

          Also got a real good look at a first summer Common Tern perched on
          the chainlink fence at the floodgates.

          Rich Schilk
          Santa Ana, CA
        • vireos44
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 8, 2007
            Hi,

            An adult Reddish Egret and two adult Black Terns were visible from the
            northern peninsular viewpoint at Bolsa Chica today.

            Jim Pike
            Huntington Beach
          • zapolingo
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 15, 2007
              Hello all,

              The Brant and Red Knots continue at Bolsa Chica--the Brant was swimming near the shore by
              the tidegates this morning, and the Red Knots were in the "new" lagoom on the back side of
              the berm about 50 feet north of the footbridge.

              One of the Red Knots was banded; on one of his legs was an orange band, and a yellow band
              with the number '173'.

              Happy birding,

              Felicia Lee
              Costa Mesa, CA
              http://yellowrump.blogspot.com/
            • cabepiano
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 4, 2008
                Pat and I led a Sea and Sage field trip to Bolsa Chica this morning. Among the better
                sightings were; two Common Loons, Mute Swan (yesterday), two Redish Egrets, Thayer's Gull,
                American Bittern, Greater Scaup, several Red Knots. All of these were seen from the trail
                between the wooden bridge and the tide gate except yesterday's Mute Swan which was seen
                in the pond below the bluff.
              • nicholsand
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 16, 2010
                  After a very early a.m. trip to the airport, I stopped off at Bolsa Chica. A walk around produced 1 BLACK TURNSTONE, 2 RUDDY TURNSTONES, and 1 REDDISH EGRET. A DUNLIN was present, with a mostly black belly. The sunrise was nice too, though I would rather not make it a habit.
                  -- Jim Roe, Seal Beach
                • Richard Cabe
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 4, 2011
                    Today, May 4, we found about 10 Lazuli Buntings in the northwest part of Bolsa Chica in trees below the mesa. In the north ponds there was one and possibly two adult female Red-necked Phalaropes (seen in different ponds about an hour apart, one brighter) and many baby avocets, stilts, ducks. A pair of Redhead ducks were in the Wintersburg channel. We also found a dead young bobcat, mostly eaten. Coyote killed?

                    Pat and Dick Cabe,
                    Huntington Beach