Greater Roadrunner

  • Evi Meyer
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 30, 2012
      I went to Crystal Grove State Beach today with Bill Cullen, Tommye Hite and Bertie Wood. We walked down from the upper parking lot (where the shuttle starts) to the beach. By the beach we made a left turn and walked along the shore. About 100 yards from where we turned we saw a Greater Roadrunner foraging in the area where the sand stops and the vegetation starts. According to the lifeguards roadrunners are often found on top of the cliffs in the flatter areas, but never down by the beach. It was a fun sighting. Pictures can be seen at

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/evimeyer/7682040414/in/photostream/

      Evi Meyer
      Palos Verdes Estates
    • a055894
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 17 3:41 PM

        Hi OC Birders, I went to Quail Hill and walked the Shady Canyon hiking and biking trail to Turtle Rock and back, hoping to glimpse a Blue Grosbeak, but to no avail.  Curious to hear from other birders who go there.  What trails do you take?  There were apparently at least two other directions I could take.

        Anyway, I did see this Greater Roadrunner, twice, or perhaps I saw two.  Since they cover a lot of ground I'm assuming it was the same one.  Also saw two California Gnatcatchers and lots of the more common species that you would expect.

        Roadrunner pics in Flickr.  Greater Roadrunner

        Rick Shearer

        Huntington Beach