Newport Pier, May 28, 2012

  • Brian Daniels
    Message 1 of 2 , May 28 1:46 PM
      Birders,

      I was again at the pier this morning from 0530 to 0715. Several other birders were also present this morning - no Cory's Shearwater, but lots of other birds to look at! As is typical of sea watching at this location, sea bird activity levels drop off significantly a hour or two after dawn. The stream of Sooty Shearwaters was consistently heading up the coast at the rate of 100 birds per every 2 or 3 minutes for the first hour but tapered off thereafter. Unlike yesterday, relatively few SOSHs were gathering on the water in the vicinity of the pier. My list: Surf Scoter - 4; Pacific Loon - 100; Eared Grebe - 1; Western Grebe - 1; Sooty Shearwater - 2,500; Black-vented Shearwater - 5; Black Storm-Petrel - 1; Brown Pelican - 25; Brandt's Cormorant - 12; Great Blue Heron - 1; Whimbrel - 1; Black Turnstone - 1; Heermann's Gull - 10; California Gull - 20; Western Gull - 100; Least Tern - 75; Caspian Tern - 5; Forster's Tern - 5; Elegant Tern - 30; Black Skimmer - 1; Parasitic Jaeger - 1; Common Murre - 3; Murrelet sp. - 2 (too distant but most likely Xantus's); Cassin's Auklet - 1; and Rock Pigeon - 30.

      Good birding,

      Brian Daniels
      Long Beach, Orange County
    • Rick 'Proto-rustie'
      Message 2 of 2 , May 31 5:33 PM
        hi Brian, would I need a scope to be able to make out most of these sea birds from the end of the pier? Is the HB pier as good as the NB pier?

        Rick Shearer
        Fountain Valley