CM Mystery Bird

  • wagtail1997
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2002
      I received a message on the OrCoRBA of an unusual bird in Costa Mesa.
      I spoke to the homeowner. Nothing comes to mind on this one (perhaps
      some sort of Mynah bird species?)....if someone wants to go out and
      look at the bird, drop me an email and I'll give you the party's phone
      number.

      Here are the details. The bird has been around for a few months. It
      is large...bigger than a dove...almost crow size. It is gray. It has
      white patches on either side of the head, a black mark to the chest,
      and little white dots above the beak. It has an unusual call...it can
      whistle and trill. It can feed on bread. The caller couldn't tell me
      if it was a finch or not...said it didn't have an exceptionally long
      tail. Best time to see the bird (if it shows) is between 7 to 10 am.
      The bird is shy. Does feed on the ground and in bushes. Doesn't
      sound like a seed eater per se. The location is near the Target store
      in Costa Mesa.

      Anybody have an idea what this is? Anyone want to go out and try to
      id the bird? Let me know.

      Joel Weintraub, Dana Point, CA