Big Canyon, Newport Back Bay

  • ocbirding
    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2002
      This morning we enjoyed watching two Clapper Rails working their way up
      the muddy channel (low tide) before noisily disappearing in the
      vegetation near the road at the Big Canyon parking lot. Another birder
      had been hearing the Clapper Rails for some time before we got there.

      A Yellow-breasted Chat was busy singing across the road, up near the
      bluff on the right of the canyon trail. Further up the trail, near the
      concrete bridge over the 3-pipe culvert, an Olive-sided Flycatcher was
      doing some very successful bug hunting from a convenient dead branch.

      Delores Jenisch, and William
      Fullerton, North Orange County