Laguna Niguel Regional Park

  • alazere
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 31, 2012
      3/31 late afternoon, the continuing Summer Tanager, last reported in January, was present at the creek below the dam outflow, it's usual spot. It is now nearly fully red with just a few yellow spots on its belly. Photo at

      http://goo.gl/P8Eki

      The wintering Hermit Warbler was present in it's usual conifer on the hill behind shelter 12 across the bridge at the south end of the park.

      Andy Lazere
      Laguna Niguel
    • Karl Fairchild
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2012
        Hi all,

        I've been living in Fullerton for about a year and a half, and I was
        wondering about adding to my list of birding locations and making some
        birding connections. I mainly bird (and eBird) in my neighborhood now,
        by Chapman Park, but also occasionally at Bolsa Chica and San Joaquin
        Marsh. I birded seriously in Oregon for 10 yrs before moving down here
        and accumulated a decent list over the years. I'd be interested in
        meeting other fairly serious birders here, and possibly doing some Big
        Days this spring.

        I'd be interested to meet up and do some birding in the near future.

        Good Birding,
        Karl

        Karl Fairchild
        Fullerton, CA
      • Ed Stonick
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 2012
          Hi Karl!

          The best place to start would be the Sea and Sage Audubon Chapter website,
          which has gobs of information on birds and birding in Orange County,
          including places to go and field trips you may attend.

          Good birding!

          Regards,

          Ed

          Ed Stonick

          Pasadena, CA

          edstonick@...

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 1, 2012
            This morning was overcast and we could not get good ID of birds in the trees but saw pairs of Northern Shovelers, Gadwalls, and Lesser Scaups among the Coots and Ruddy Ducks.
            Sachiko V Fukuman
            San Clemente
          • mrsmeckle
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 14, 2012
              Visited LNRP this morning with a couple friends. We didn't find a whole lot along the creek except for a large number of wigeons out on the grass and a green-winged teal between shelter 3 and the playground, but we had better luck along the lake. We only made it about 2/3 of the way down the western side but we found a chipping sparrow perched on the western edge of the fence on the north side of the lake and a Townsend's warbler working the Eucalyptus trees along the main road just south of the side road going to shelter 10. Standouts on the lake included a scaup (too far to distinguish species), a gadwall, a possible canvasback (again, very far but we saw the white body and a reddish-brown head), and a cinnamon teal, along with the usual waterbirds.

              Ryan Winkleman
              Rancho Santa Margarita
            • mrsmeckle
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 18, 2013
                Spent a couple hours at LNRP earlier trying to locate the black-and-white warbler and met up with another OC Birder for a while but we had no success. However, I did find a couple Townsend's warblers, one foraging in the trees on both sides of the stream by Shelter 2, and the other just outside the tennis courts. Other highlights included a downy woodpecker also by the stream close to the tennis courts, several ruby-crowns throughout the park (I pretty much stuck to north of the dam, only venturing as far as the eastern limits of the dam before turning around), and a spotted sandpiper bobbing around in the cemented dam outflow. A few photos from today below.

                http://www.flickr.com/photos/rswinkleman/sets/72157632797131241/

                Ryan Winkleman
                RSM
              • Trish G
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 4, 2013
                  Thanks to Carolyn for sending me the location to find the Clay-colored Sparrow yesterday.
                  I was certain I found it, and even heard the buzzing call.
                  When I got home I posted my best photo on Facebook, and Sandy Remley noted I had a lovely winter Chipping Sparrow.
                  I still needed a Chipping Sparrow this year, so it was a good bird, but the Clay-colored will be found another day.
                  All the expected Warblers (Wilson's, Townsend's, Orange-crowned, Yellow-rumped, etc.) and a Western Tanager were found in the creek bathing, but I didn't manage to spy any rare birds.

                  Here is a link to my Chippiing Sparrow, that looks much like a Clay-colored to my untrained eye.

                  Trish Gussler
                  Anaheim