Hooded Warbler continues at Irvine RP

  • Zopteryx
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 2012
      (3/13/12) While looking for Varied Thrushes, I stumbled upon the continuing male HOODED WARBLER at Irvine Regional Park. It was near the restroom to the left of lot 9; more specifically, in the bushes between the restroom and the main road. It spent most of its time foraging low in the bushes or on the ground and was best viewed from the restroom side. Also in the same spot was the PARTIAL LEUCISTIC CALIFORNIA TOWHEE, a small bright yellow warbler (observed briefy in flight, either YELLOW or WILSON'S), but no thrushes of any kind. The only other birds of note in the park were the usual Lilac-crowned Parrots. I'll post a photo of the Hooded Warbler.

      At Crown Valley Community Park last Sunday, I found a HERMIT THRUSH in the "Meadow Garden". If following the winding trail from the base of the hill, it was near the second small blank sign on the right.

      At Dana Point Harbor last Friday, there were four PACIFIC LOONS at the harbor enterance and near the bait barge. I also spotted at least three GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULLS on the large jetty, two of which were in adult plumage.

      Happy Birding,
      Zachary Perry
      Ladera Ranch