Hermit Warbler

  • robojet
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2002
      I don't mean to bother anyone... but my curiosity is killing me. I'm
      at work and don't have my bird guide.

      A small warbler landed on a branch outside my office window (Newport
      Beach, corner of Jamboree and McCarther) about 10-15 feet away. It
      had gray underbody, black throat, yellow head (no eye marks), black
      wings, but wings had some white marks. My best lookup on the
      internet has resulted in it being a Hermit Warbler. Without my
      guide, I'm helpless in knowing if that is reasonable for this area,
      or if there is another warbler with similar characteristics that I
      haven't been able to find on the internet.

      I see other warblers in this tree, but this was the first of it's
      kind I had seen here.

      Any ideas?

      THANKS,
      Jennifer (Newport Beach)
    • sara bethurum
      Message 2 of 3 , May 11, 2011
        At 5:00PM today (5/11/11) I observed a hermit warbler in a Eucalyptus tree behind my house.  15th Fairway of San Juan Hills Golf course in San Juan Capistrano.  Someone else had reported hermit warblers in ACU Canyon Park in San Juan Cap. on 2 May. It would seem they are still in the area.

        Sara Bethurum

      • guesswhomagoo
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2012
          I was at the San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary this morning (9am-12) and found a Hermit Warbler. It was flitting around the trees where the boardwalk meets the North Loop Trail. He only stuck around for 30-40 seconds but it was enough time to get a great look at him through binoculars and get a photo! The photo's not great but you can tell what it is. The photo is posted in the Wood Warbler folder.

          Kelly Porter