Bird ID

  • glosterboybirder
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 11, 2012
      Hello, I'm from the UK. A keen birder. During March I'll be visiting California for the first time. Armed with my bins and a general bird ID book I will be enjoying some birding. Most of the birds I hope to see will be "lifers". Would bird recordings on my mobile be beneficial? If so? Which birds? Any/all information would be much appreciated. Regards, Mike Fox, United Kingdom.
    • Ed Stonick
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 11, 2012
        Howdy Mike!

        In addition to your ID book, you should definitely purchase Brad Schramm's A
        Birder's Guide to Southern California. That will tell you what to look for
        and where. Recordings might be helpful for some species (owls, rails,
        etc.). You should also check out other area listserves if you haven't
        already. There are a ton of them; CALBIRDS would be essential for the whole
        state, but many counties have their own as well. You should also be "armed"
        with a scope

        You may also want to check out the local Audubon societies for field trips
        that will be taking place during your visit.

        Good luck!

        Ed

        Ed Stonick

        Pasadena, CA