Possible Harris Hawk sighting

  • Ted Edgell
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2011
      A rather late report - while hiking on a docent led hike with the Irvine Ranch Conservancy last Wednesday at Bommer Canyon, we were descending back into the canyon around noon and startled a hawk out of some bushes alongside the trail. The bird flew away and down slope and I got a brief look at it's side and back. I was struck by the overall dark coloration and the bright white patch at the base of the tail. It was similar in size to a Red Tail Hawk. I am familiar with the common hawks in our area and I did not recognize this one, but with the recent posts of the Harris Hawk, looking at the photos and in my books, that is what it looked like. Unfortunately it was too quick to get a photo.

      Bommer Canyon is near Turtle Rock, about 4 miles or so South West of SJWS. I cannot give a truly positive ID on this. I offer it as a possible sighting.

      Ted Edgell