A few continuing birds from around the county (including Ruff in Orange)

  • Doug
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2011
      At Huntington Central Park today (30 Sept.), a female type American Redstart was in Myoporum and willows southeast of the Slater Street parking lot, and a "full-tailed" Lucy's Warbler was in Eucalyptus trees north of the restroom by the Gothard Street parking lot. Both of these are presumed to be continuing birds.

      At the Santa Ana River this evening, north of the Lincoln Street crossing (in n.w. Orange), although there were noticeably fewer shorebirds, the juvenile Ruff and Stilt Sandpiper were still present. Both were about 150 to 200 yards upstream of the Lincoln bridge (before the first small "drop structure"). There were two Pectoral Sandpipers still here as well. A Rock Wren was again heard calling from the rock rip-rap that lines the river in this same general area.

      Doug Willick
      Orange, CA
    • Steve Sosensky
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2011
        Bruce Aird and I saw the juvenile Ruff on the Santa Ana River this
        morning (10/1). After finding none of the reported birds upstream of
        Lincoln, we went downstream and found the Ruff in the middle channel
        just past the second weir. This is about 400 yards from Lincoln
        Street. It's important to know the structure of Ruffs, as this bird
        had grayish-green legs, but it is small headed, buffy on the head and
        breast, and has a short decurved bill.

        Because the lighting was direct and the legs are not hidden by
        foliage, I posted a photo in the Shorebirds folder.

        At 09:29 PM 9/30/2011, Doug wrote:
        >At the Santa Ana River this evening, north of the Lincoln Street
        >crossing (in n.w. Orange), although there were noticeably fewer
        >shorebirds, the juvenile Ruff and Stilt Sandpiper were still
        >present. Both were about 150 to 200 yards upstream of the Lincoln
        >bridge (before the first small "drop structure"). There were two
        >Pectoral Sandpipers still here as well. A Rock Wren was again heard
        >calling from the rock rip-rap that lines the river in this same general area.

        Good Viewing,
        Steve Sosensky
        Vice President <mailto:Steve@...>

        http://www.Optics4Birding.com