San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 11, 2011
      All,

      There were two Pectoral Sandpipers and one Solitary Sandpiper at Pond C for a short time this morning, and not much else at all.

      Dave Furseth
      Murrieta, CA
    • Bob Allen
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 2013
        Greetings and happy new year!

        Am having a relaxing time birding at San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary right now. Plenty of birds to see and hear.

        Someone recently asked me where they can find cedar waxwings in OC. There are dozens of them in trees that surround the Duck Club right now. Spread the word.

        Bob Allen
        bugbob@...
        www.boballenphotography.com
        Sent from my iPhone 4S
      • Trish
        Message 3 of 12 , May 19, 2013
          Speaking of Willow Flycatchers..
          I sent a question for ID help, and a flickr link to Robert of some poor quality images, and he replied it looked good for a Willow.
          I had this bird at the end of the lost trail, in the willows between the Lost trail and Shady lane trail at the San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary this morning. I only saw it briefly, and didn't hear any vocalizations. My Flycatcher pics are super cropped and not very good quality, but it's all I managed.
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/trishrg/
          It was very "birdy" along the Shady, and Lost trails in the Willows, but the rest of the marsh was quite slow. I had 4 Yellow-breasted Chat spread around my walk, a few Tri-colored Blackbirds, and a very distant Yellowlegs in pond C, and not much else of note.

          Trish Gussler
          Anaheim
        • Trish G
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 6, 2013

            2 pectoral sandpaper pond c right now Wilsons snipe in pond d . Had a flyover male yellow headed blackbird

            Trish gussler Anaheim

          • Wendy Miller
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 10, 2013
              This morning, October 10, 2013, I visited SJWS to see if I could find any interesting shore birds.  I did not see any pectoral sandpipers or snipes, but there was one red-necked phalarope in Pond D.  There was also a western meadowlark on the edge of Pond D.  Another pleasant surprise was a female blue grosbeak in a tree on the path between Pond A and Pond 1.  It was great birding weather!  Links to my pictures are below:

              On the way home, I also saw a female belted kingfisher coughing up a pellet near Sunset Aquatic Marina at the end of Edinger in Huntington Beach.   I had no idea that kingfishers did that!

              http://www.flickr.com/photos/wemesq/10198549635/

              Wendy Miller
              Huntington Beach