Hummingbird

  • mariekulmer92692
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 27, 2002
      I have been observing a Hummingbird in the top of my neighbor's Birch
      tree for the past few weeks. It is iridescent green, white belly and
      chest, throat and chin are iridescent rosy/hot pink; the top of the
      head looks black, but could be iridescent due to the lighting,
      undertail is white. I'm thinking that it is an Anna's Hummingbird,
      but am not certain. I have never observed a Hummingbird feeding on
      anything but flowers and feeders. This one sits on the top branches
      and darts out every few minutes (to catch an insect?) then returns.
      In reading my field guides I am unable to find any reference to this
      feeding behavior. I have been birding only a couple of years, so I
      do not have much experience to draw from. I would appreciate any
      thoughts or information that you have. Thanks very much.
    • Ed Stonick
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 27, 2002
        Hi! What you describe sounds very much like an Anna's Hummingbird, which is
        by far the most common hummer in Southern California at all seasons. They
        do supplement their diet of nectar with small insects. That's also what
        they have to feed the youngsters. Anna's Hummingbirds nest very early in
        the season (right about now).

        Regards,
        Ed

        stonicks@...