Black Star Canyon this afternoon

  • Charles
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2011
      I took a late afternoon walk on Black Star Canyon road today. Turned out to be very productive: saw at least 10 Western tanagers, 20+ house wrens (the wrens were the most vocal species by far), four Pacific slope flycatchers, four hooded orioles, one Nashville warbler, one black-headed grosbeak, and a fair share of more typical species. The first mile or so, where the road runs more or less towards the west, is not very productive, but after the road turns north and runs parallel to a small creek, it gets birdy very quickly. The tall eucalyptus trees on the Edwards ranch land is where most of the tanagers were seen--but don't even think about trespassing---the fence is electrified, and you can see the birds fine from the road anyway.

      Charles Baker
      Tustin