Mason Regional Park & more

  • Zopteryx
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2011
      (5/1/11) Highlight of birding Mason Regional Park was a "SOLITARY" TYPE VIREO (presumed Cassin's) in the riparine area adjacent to the enterance kiosk. In the same area was a male WESTERN TANAGER, a male YELLOW WARBLER, two HUTTON'S VIREOS, and SHARP-SHINNED HAWK.

      The best birds at the San Joaquin Wildife Sanctuary were several WARBLING VIREOS; seven SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS at Pond E; eight WHITE-FACED IBIS and a SORA at Pond D; a pair of WOOD DUCKS at Pond C; and at least fifty BLACK SKIMMERS, fifteen CASPIAN TERNS, and a BONAPARTE'S GULL at Pond 2. An OSPREY brought a fish to a younger individual on the platform in Pond 4.

      Searched for, but did not find, the Black-throated Sparrow on Saturday at the Dana Point Headlands. I did here a bird calling along the main trail that sounded similar to my target species, but it never came out of the brush. The only good bird on that trip was a PEREGRINE FALCON that flew over the main trail.

      Finally, I found two GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS, two RUFOUS-CROWNED SPARROWS, one WESTERN KINGBIRD, one CALIFORNIA GNATCATCHER, and a CACTUS WREN along a trail that runs the length of the hilltops that seperate Ladera Ranch from the adjacent golf course.

      Happy Birding,
      Zachary Perry
      Ladera Ranch
    • Brian Daniels
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2011
        I assume most members of this group own a copy of Hamilton and Willick (1996) Birds of Orange County and use it (I do!). You will note the bar graphs show that Sharp-shinned Hawks are gone by May. In fact this species has declined significantly as a winter visitor to the County since this book was published.

        Since the wintering Plumbeous Vireo has been hanging out in the riparian along University Drive at Mason (I last saw it on April 17) and cannot be separated by song from Cassin's Vireo (and they certainly respond to each other's song!), I would not presume that this Solitary Vireo was a Cassin's Vireo. IMO the status of Plumbeous Vireo is imperfectly known along the coast especially during spring migration. This in part due to the difficulties of separating worn Cassin's Vireos from Plumbeous Vireos.

        Good birding,

        Brian Daniels,
        Long Beach, Orange County