more Swainson's Hawks

  • vicleipzig
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2011
          Today, March 31, Tom Benson and I birded the Roadrunner Loop Trail and Chutes Ridgeline Trail out of Irvine Regional Park.  We saw a total of four Swainson's Hawks in the air over IRP and over the basin behind Villa Park dam.  We had one light morph, one dark morph, one intermediate morph and one unidentified as to morph.
         From the Chutes trail, we heard and saw one Canyon Wren.  No Rock Wren.  No Black-chinned Sparrow.
      Vic Leipzig
      Huntington Beach

    • Thomasabenson@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2011
        Just to add to Vic's recap, we also had an adult male California Gnatcatcher singing from relatively tall shrubs (bush mallow?) along the Chutes Trail, as well as a relatively early male Lazuli Bunting at the east end of Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park. A distant photo of one of yesterday's Swainson's Hawks may be seen at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/40928097@N07/5580998084/.

        Tom Benson
        San Bernardino, CA

        Today, March 31, Tom Benson and I birded the Roadrunner Loop Trail and Chutes Ridgeline Trail out of Irvine Regional Park. We saw a total of four Swainson's Hawks in the air over IRP and over the basin behind Villa Park dam. We had one light morph, one dark morph, one intermediate morph and one unidentified as to morph.
        From the Chutes trail, we heard and saw one Canyon Wren. No Rock Wren. No Black-chinned Sparrow.
        Vic Leipzig
        Huntington Beach