Request for Help Identifying Birds

  • spkrsteve
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2010
      Hello Everyone,

      First, I hope this is a proper use of this list serve.

      I saw this hummingbird in the Fullerton Arboretum's Cactus Garden, feeding on the new stalk (about 12-ft high) with yellow blooms. Is it an Allen's Hummingbird? I posted a photo at: http://www.stevekayephoto.com/hummingbird1.html

      Yesterday, I found this hawk in the Fullerton Arboretum sitting on one of the dead stalks in the Cactus Garden. I've checked my books, and I still need help. I'd guess that this hawk is about 18 to 20 in high. I posted a photo at: http://www.stevekayephoto.com/hawk1.html

      Thanks for your help.

      Steve Kaye
    • spkrsteve
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 19, 2011
        Hello Everyone,

        Please help identifying five birds. I posted their photos in the Mystery Birds folder. I think the URL is:

        I identified them as: Bird #1, Bird #2, Bird #3 and 3A (same bird), Bird #4 and 4a (same bird), and Bird #5.

        Thanks for your help.

        Steve Kaye
      • Thomasabenson@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 19, 2011
          Bird #1: Cassin's Kingbird
          Bird #2: Common Yellowthroat
          Bird #3: Chipping Sparrow
          Bird #4: Orange-crowned Warbler
          Bird #5: Yellow-rumped Warbler

          Tom Benson
          San Bernardino, CA

          Please help identifying five birds. I posted their photos in the Mystery Birds

          folder. I think the URL is:

          I identified them as: Bird #1, Bird #2, Bird #3 and 3A (same bird), Bird #4 and

          4a (same bird), and Bird #5.

          Thanks for your help.

          Steve Kaye

          ------------------------------------

          Reports and bird identities are neither edited nor verified. Use at your own

          risk. Please consult the standard reference books for proper bird identification

          & currently accepted names. Please do not use abbreviations or acronyms in lieu

          of names. Both scientific and/or common names of birds are acceptable.

          All posts must be on-topic: about birds/birding in Orange County, California

          (nowhere else!). Your posts must include both a clear subject line *and* your

          name. Off-topic posts will be deleted and the sender put on moderated status.

          Repeat offenders will be banned.

          To search for a bird discussed in past messages, browse or search the archives

          at:

          To see photos of birds being discussed (if available) see:

          http://members.cox.net/orcorba/

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Individual Email | Traditional

          (Yahoo! ID required)