Mason CBC count week birds: 12/31/10 American Redstart, Eastern Phoebe, etc.

  • jacksnipe1990
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2010
      I birded Mason Regional Park today pretty hard, and found only a few continuing rarities. The imm. male AMERICAN REDSTART was along the ditch-creek at University Avenue downstream from the Park Ranger's HQ about 200 yards. It was active and feeding in willows directly across from the first parking area next to the west? (bigger)lake. Next, the EASTERN PHOEBE was directly across from the entrance kiosk at the park along University. Over at the Maintenance yard, the male RED-NAPED SAPSUCKER was found. It is wary and flighty, but I managed a few record shots. Lastly, the single SNOW GOOSE was with Can Geese on the larger (western-most?) lake.

      Returning home at 3:00P I had a Mountain Chickadee at my front seed feeder in Laguna Niguel.

      The AMERICAN REDSTART makes my Wood Warbler list for 2010 at an impressive 40 species! I can claim only 18 of those species here in OC, though.

      Check out pics of these birds at the Flickr link below.

      Robert McNab
      Laguna Niguel
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/47862125@N03/