Bald Eagles

  • jenniebird7
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2002
      Hello,
      I recently returned from a family visitation trip in Missouri, where
      we took a drive to Noel and saw a pair of Bald Eagles! There are about
      50 pairs wintering in Missouri, where it is not quite cold enough for
      the water to freeze completely. The high for that day was 30 degrees,
      though; about 10 degrees at night. Noel is in the southwest corner of
      the state, and the eagles were along Elk River, which has beautiful
      sandy & muddy banks surrounded by oak, sycamore, and walnut trees.
      They were perched atop a tall, dead tree and seemed very majestic. I
      got a picture of them with some icicle-laced limestone cliffs in the
      background; Missouri has many caves hidden in the rock.
      Other local river birds included great blue herons, canada geese,
      red-bellied and downy/hairy woodpeckers, cardinals, chicadees and
      titmice. I used to occasionally see a Pileated woodpecker, but this
      time I caught sight of a crested kingfisher instead.

      Happy birding,
      Jennie Walcek