Painted Redstart Still Around & Other Minor Birds

  • Zachary
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2010
      (10/30/10) The PAINTED REDSTART is still hanging around the creek at Shelter #3 at Laguna Niguel Regional Park. I found it after less than 5 minutes of searching and observed it for nearly an hour. As mentioned in previous posts, this is a very photogenic and brave bird that, at one point, was no more than 2 feet above my head! I'll put my best photo in the warblers folder. While the bird was not prone to wandering, at the end of my stay it flew toward the opposite end of the creek in the direction of the playground and began foraging in the trees there.

      The only other birds of note were a PLUMBEOUS VIREO (photo in the vireos folder), a HUTTON'S VIREO, and a TOWNSEND'S WARBLER in the largest pine tree below the dam.

      Although not rare, it was quite a sight to see 2 young GREEN HERONS running and chasing each other on the open field across the creek from Shelter #3.

      Happy Birding,
      Zachary Perry
      Ladera Ranch