mostly continuing birds around the county

  • Gjon Hazard
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11, 2010
      Today, 10/11/2010, I took advantage of the Federal holiday that wasn't also a school holiday and did a bit of birding in ORA. A brief synopsis of the highlights...

      Newport Pier -- multiple PARASITIC JAEGERS, including one over the pier itself and anther not far from end. Several other jaeger spp. in the fog in the distance. A smattering of BLACK-VENTED SHEARWATERS, too.

      Harriett Wieder Park -- continuing BURROWING OWL, a NASHVILLE WARBLER, and a good show from a couple of PEREGRINE FALCONS duking it out over who's gunna keep the turf. A MERLIN also made several passes over the shorebirds.

      Huntington Beach Central Park -- near the wooden amphitheater, the TENNESSEE WARBLER continues (also seen by Andy Lazere). Also in the vicinity of the amphitheater, I heard (call and song) a BROWN CREEPER. I also had a grosbeak in the trees over the pond (swamp) at the east end of the Verizon fence (NE corner of park) that left me wondering if it was a rose-breasted.

      Laguna Niguel Regional Park -- a quick stop late in the afternoon turned up the continuing and very cooperative BLACK-THROATED BLUE and MAGNOLIA WARBLERS.

      Cheers,

      -Gj

      Gjon Hazard
      Encinitas, San Diego Co., California