Solitary Sandpiper

  • oc2888
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 17, 2010
      This evening around 5:30 I viewed what I have classified as a Solitary Sandpiper. The classification was based on the presence of:
      white spectacles,
      very dark shoulders,
      dark brown back with small white spots,
      greenish/yellow legs.

      I am uploading a picture to the Sandpiper directory. The sandpiper was in Pond E, first from the parking lot.

      Richard Thunen
      Newport Beach
    • donhoechlin
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 2, 2013
        Went to see the Solitary Sandpiper at Seagate Park today , 2/1/13, and found it in the catchment basin. Pics from a distance on Flickr: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjDQTdHo . Don Hoechlin , Huntington Beach
      • rogerschoedl
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 30, 2014

          I briefly had a SOLITARY SANDPIPER this morning in the drain basin at Baca Park. The bird was very skittish before it flew off.

          Roger Schoedl

          Huntington Beach

        • rogerschoedl
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 28, 2015

            There was 1 SOLITARY SANDPIPER present along the edge of Talbert Lake at Huntington Central Park this afternoon. Talbert Lake continues to retain water in its central area this summer and fall. I suspect the water table is unusually high this year thus preventing it from fully drying out.

            2 Oregon type Juncos have been resident in the park this summer. The pair have been hanging around the east end of the "Island" area but I've seen no sign of juveniles or nesting.

            A White-breasted Nuthatch has been the only other unusual migrant/dispersant in the park so far this month. I first found it on Aug 14 and saw it again this morning in the gove of Cottonwoods along the east shore of the lake.

            Migrant activity at the park continues to be a weak dribble, mostly low single digits of western migrants. What is notable is that almost all my first of fall birds have fallen on the very early edge of their migration window per the graphs in Hamilton & Willick and parsing through eBird records.

            Roger Schoedl

            Huntington Beach

          • rogerschoedl
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 3, 2015

              A SOLITARY SANDPIPER was present this evening along the muddy edge of Talbert Lake at Huntington Central Park. The bird was skittish and after 15 minutes took off and flew out of the park.

              Roger Schoedl

              Huntington Beach

            • rogerschoedl
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 6, 2015

                Another SOLITARY SANDPIPER, the 3rd to appear so far this fall, was in the mud along the edge of Talbert Lake at Huntington Central Park this afternoon.

                On a more humdrum note, late yesterday afternoon I heard a Least Bittern call from the reeds west of the fenced garden. An unusual bird for the park.

                Roger Schoedl

                Huntington Beach

              • rogerschoedl
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 19, 2015

                  I found a SOLITARY SANDPIPER this morning foraging in the drain basin at Baca Park. This was a very surprising find for me as I bird this park almost weekly and have not seen it before today. This must be a wintering bird which has been hiding out in the inaccessible lake on the north side of Ellis. A Solitary Sandpiper wintered at Baca in 2012-2013 so this may be the same bird.

                  Roger Schoedl

                  Huntington Beach

                • rogerschoedl
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 13, 2016

                    A lone SOLITARY SANDPIPER was foraging in the drain basin at Baca Park this morning.

                    Roger Schoedl

                    Huntington Beach

                  • Trish G
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 13, 2016

                      The bird is still in there on the north side of the drainage Pond. Trish gussler Anaheim

                      On Aug 13, 2016 10:09 AM, "rogerschoedl@... [OrangeCountyBirding]" <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                      A lone SOLITARY SANDPIPER was foraging in the drain basin at Baca Park this morning.

                      Roger Schoedl

                      Huntington Beach

                    • James Pike

                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 13, 2016
                          I threw a few photos on my flickr page.
                          Arrow to the left.

                          Trish Gussler, Anaheim

                        • Edana Salisbury
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 13, 2016
                            The sandpiper is still here.
                            Edana Salisbury
                            Buena Park

                            Sent from my iPhone and possibly autocorrected incorrectly ....

                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 21, 2016
                              A SOLITARY SANDPIPER at Talbert Lake at Huntington Central Park was the only noteworthy migrant there today. A rather uncooperative bird - it stayed under the dense willow vegetation along the north side of the remnant puddle in the center of the lake basin.

                              Roger Schoedl
                              Huntington Beach

                            • rogerschoedl
                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 9
                                A SOLITARY SANDPIPER was foraging in the drain basin at Baca Park this morning.

                                Roger Schoedl
                                Huntington Beach

                              • Trish G
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 18
                                  There is currently a solitary Sandpiper working the West edge of pond e at the San Joaquin wildlife sanctuary. Trish gussler, Anaheim
                                • rogerschoedl
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 20

                                    This morning a SOLITARY SANDPIPER was in Aliso Creek where it runs past Aliso Niguel High School. This is just upstream from the intersection of Aliso Creek Road and Alicia Parkway in Laguna Niguel.

                                    The bird was foraging along the edge of the water but often obscured by the cattails and weeds. Somewhat better views are from the east bank of the creek though it can be sometimes seen from the west bank looking north (upstream) from just upstream of the weir.

                                    Roger Schoedl

                                    Huntington Beach