Bolsa Chica birds

  • nicholsand
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 16, 2010
      After a very early a.m. trip to the airport, I stopped off at Bolsa Chica. A walk around produced 1 BLACK TURNSTONE, 2 RUDDY TURNSTONES, and 1 REDDISH EGRET. A DUNLIN was present, with a mostly black belly. The sunrise was nice too, though I would rather not make it a habit.
      -- Jim Roe, Seal Beach
    • Richard Cabe
      Message 2 of 10 , May 4, 2011
        Today, May 4, we found about 10 Lazuli Buntings in the northwest part of Bolsa Chica in trees below the mesa. In the north ponds there was one and possibly two adult female Red-necked Phalaropes (seen in different ponds about an hour apart, one brighter) and many baby avocets, stilts, ducks. A pair of Redhead ducks were in the Wintersburg channel. We also found a dead young bobcat, mostly eaten. Coyote killed?

        Pat and Dick Cabe,
        Huntington Beach
      • a055894
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 15, 2015

          Hi OC Birders.  I parked on Graham St and walked the Wintersburg Channel to the tidal gate, then back along the bluffs, side track on the Brightwater Trail then back to Graham St.  Along the way:. No Loggerhead Shrike on my last two visits to the Graham St field, but there are dozens of White Crowned, Song and Savannah Sparrow as well as Morning Doves, Allens HBs, and House and Lesser Goldfinches.  In the channel about 30 Cliff Swallows getting mud from the channel and building nests on the built up side.  On the bluff area next to Bolsa Chica St, in a palm over the sculpted bike jumps a male Hooded Warbler.  At the tidal gate the Black Scoter was diving with a pair of Surf Scoters.  Back to the bluff the Great Horned Owl nest was a bit sleepy.  On the Brightwater Trail a calling California Gnatcatcher, and as Liga and Tom reported, the Sage Thrasher was spotted, low to the ground when I was there, and closer to the muted tidal area than last Sunday when it was much closer to Warner.

          Rick Shearer

          Huntington Beach