San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary Saturday

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2010
      All,

      Along with the normal Stilts, Avocets, Dowitchers, etc. were a pair of Wood Ducks (male in eclipse plumage), 4 Wilson's Phalaropes, a Black-bellied Plover (with a fair amount of black on the belly), a Spotted Sandpiper (with spots), and a hatch year Virginia Rail.

      All the above were in the first three ponds from the parking lot (is there a map of the area available so I can better describe where I saw the birds??? I know the ponds are numbered or lettered, but I don't have the secret decoder ring).

      Dave Furseth
      Murrieta, Ca
    • Joel Weintraub
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 31, 2010
        Remember that Sea and Sage Audubon is having their summer BBQ this afternoon
        (31st) at the sanctuary, and over 250 people are expected. If you intend to
        bird the area and don't have a ticket to the BBQ, reconsider, as parking
        spaces will be very very tight this afternoon.

        Joel Weintraub
        Dana Point, CA
        http://members.cox.net/census1940/