Re: LNRP - Heron/Bittern fledges

  • jacksnipe1990
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 13 7:31 AM
      Howdy,

      The really small size of those fledges leads me to believe that they are Least Bitterns and not Green Herons, even though like you say there are both Green Herons and Least Bittern adults nearby. If you look at the fledges from the side, they show the buffy-colored wing coverts that is a really strong field mark for Least Bittern. In fact, take away the fuzzy heads and remnant downy feathers on the birds, and they strongly resemble adult Least Bitterns (Darkish cap, dark back, small size, buffy wing coverts, etc.) Interestingly, the fledges show a yellow green lore (bare skin) that sticks out on Green Heron adults (to me) - but Least Bitterns also show that lore color, it just does not "pop" out on the bitterns so much.

      Good birding,

      Robert McNab
      Laguna Niguel