Nesting Northern Parulas at Huntington Central Park

  • bedafort
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 12, 2010
      Birders,

      The male Northern Parula continues to sing in the vicinity of the restroom near the Slater Street parking lot at the park. Its singing is less frequent than it was last weekend but its still hard to miss. We observed a female Northern Parula taking nesting material into a clump of dead sycamore leaves above the restroom (southwest corner of the restroom building). Although we could see only parts of her while in the clump, it was apparent she was building a nest. The male approached the nest area a couple of times, perhaps keeping an eye on the progress, but mostly kept vigil in the tops of sycamores and willows to the south of the nest site. This is the first certain nesting of this species for the park. An adult male observed with an apparent juvenile at the park on August 15, 2004, probably indicated local breeding.

      Brian Daniels