Northern Parula continues and Red Knot at Bolsa Chica

  • Zachary
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11, 2010
      (6/11/10) At about 1:30 pm, I found one of the Northern Parulas near the Slater St Parking lot restroom. It appeared to favor the taller grass in the adjacent drainage ditch and was singing often. Also in this area was a flock of about 15 Nutmeg Mannikins. I was unable to locate the Hooded Warbler.

      Afterwards, made a brief stop at Bolsa Chica and found 4 Red Knot (juveniles and females) on the mudflats of the "inner bay". Also of note were 2 Ruddy Turnstones in breeding plumage, 2 Greater Yellowlegs (both these species were in the same area as the Red Knot), and 2 Snowy Plovers with chicks in the fenced of area.

      Happy Birding,
      Zachary Perry
      Ladera Ranch