13 Gt. Yellowlegs & 1 Red-naped Sapsucker

  • Delores Jenisch
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 19, 2001
      Now, this may not be anything new to you, but it was quite a sight
      for us. It was Sunday morning (Nov 18) on the Santa Ana River at
      the Lincoln street bridge. Two ponds up stream we saw 13 Greater
      Yellowlegs in one group at one time... and more were scattered
      around in the adjacent ponds. They didn't seem to be in any hurry to
      go on their separate ways. What a sight! We had never before
      seen such a congregation of these handsome sandpipers.

      Later on we stopped by Yorba Regional Park to check for birds on the
      river. Almost nothing there, perhaps because the water was
      flowing quite fast. No matter... we were entertained by the antics of
      the Cedar Waxwings and a Red-naped Sapsucker instead. (edge of
      Parking Lot #10, near the rest shelter at the edge of the bike path
      along the river)

      Thanksgiving greetings to you all,

      Delores Jenisch
      Fullerton