san joaquin marsh 31 May 2010

  • Doug Peltz
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2010
      Visited the San Joaquin Marsh this morning. This was my first time seeing
      fledgling American Avocets and Black-necked Stilts, in the pond nearest the
      Audubon House. Highly recommended! It's extraordinary how accepting the
      adults are of humans observing them from the benches, a mere 20 ft. away,
      and yet how quickly they ward off crows, herons, and other large birds that
      get within even 75 ft. of the nest sites.

      What seemed like a couple of Killdeer parents were similarly warding off
      some crows. It's hard to tell whether the crows are just minding their own
      business, or if they are actually after the chicks and/or eggs, though there
      is little doubt in my mind they would eat them if given the chance.

      14 or so White-faced Ibises arrived in one of the nearby ponds. They
      descended from flight, and landed in the shallows, in such an erratic
      fashion; I assume this is usual for them. None had breeding plumage (at
      least from what I saw). Looking back at previous reports, it seems they are
      relatively common at the marsh. Still, a pleasant surprise for me. When I
      first started birding a few years ago, I recall several more experienced
      birders being quite excited to see them in the Santa Ana River near Yorba
      Regional Park. I love their iridescent tail feathers.

      Doug Peltz
      Irvine, CA

      San Joaquin Marsh, ~10am, 5/31/2010

      American Crows, seen & heard, juveniles harassing/begging for food, others
      being chased by American Avocets from avocet nesting area.
      Song Sparrows, heard.
      Anna's Hummingbirds, seen & heard.
      Black-necked Stilts, and fledglings
      American Avocets, and fledglings
      Sandpiper, undetermined species
      Common Yellowthroats, heard
      Great Blue Heron, at some points chased away by American Avocets
      Spotted Towhee, heard.
      Black Phoebe, seen.
      House Finches, male and female, seen and heard.
      Killdeer, seen, interacting (distracting?) with American Crow
      Tree Swallows, seen
      Snowy Egret
      Cinnamon Teals, males and females, seen
      White-faced Ibis, about 14 came in for a landing, very erratic landing
      flight, none seemed to have the adult breeding plumage
      Ruddy Ducks, males and females, seen
      Mallards, males and females, seen and heard. No chicks seen. Some of the
      males looked like they were molting (may be young adults?)
      some kind of Heron, juvenile... at first thought it was a Bittern or Rail.
      Red eye, light brown and white streaky plumage (brown dominant)
      Canada Geese, with chick
      American Coot

      Other wildlife:
      Tiger Swallowtail