Lag. Nig. Reg. Park earlier this week

  • naturegirlaol
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2010
      On Sunday the 28th, we walked around the lake at Laguna Niguel Regional Park. The most interesting sightings were an Osprey, a Kestrel, Cedar Waxwings in the bushes below the dam, and a Green Heron along the creek past the bridge at the south end of the lake that had just caught a very large lizard. He had the lizard around the neck, dunked him in the water a few times, and then swallowed him whole. Felt bad for the lizard but were impressed by how the Heron gobbled down such a large dinner in one gulp and have posted a few photos in the folder Green Heron Swallowing Lizard.

      Yesterday we went back to search the trees & bushes at the north end of the park along the creek and to look for the Red-tailed Hawk nest mentioned by Robert McNab. It was nice to see a male Hooded Oriole, several pairs of FOS Bullock's Orioles, more Cedar Waxwings and a Western Bluebird. Cassin's kingbirds were vocal and active. Spring is definitely in the air, as Kingbirds, Orioles, Nuttall's Woodpeckers, Downey Woodpeckers, Song Sparrows, CA Towhees and Bushtits were all pairing up. We missed the reported Vireos but got good views of the Hawk nest. We saw definitely two and possibly three young in the nest. Several photos are now in the folder Red-Tail Hawk Nest.

      Happy Birding!

      Joan & Brett Rubin
      Mission Viejo