Eastern Phoebe, Mason Regional Park--3/26

  • short_eared_owl12
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 26, 2010
      birders,

      From about 1230-1400 this afternoon (3/26/10), I had fine looks at the continuing EASTERN PHOEBE at Mason Regional Park in Irvine. It was in the location previously described--near the edge of the willow-lined ditch near the entrance off University Drive. Specifically, it seemed to prefer a small area centered around two (very) dead redwood trees.

      Other birds of note were a single PLUMBEOUS VIREO (presumably a migrant, rather than a wintering bird) and five WHIMBRELs foraging on the lawn near the lake.

      On the ride down I had a pair of HOODED MERGANSERS in the San Diego Creek about .75 miles downstream from the Irvine Civic Center, a single female HOODED MERGANSER in the Como Channel (north of the intersection of Harvard and Edinger), and three Yellow Warblers in various spots that were presumably continuing wintering birds rather than arriving breeders.

      cheers,

      Neil Gilbert
      Orange, CA
      http://ocbirding.blogspot.com/