Santa Ana River at the Lincoln bridge

  • Delores Jenisch
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2001
      While others chased rare warblers today, William and I enjoyed
      birding the Santa Ana River above and below the Lincoln bridge. We
      watched as the Osprey fished under the bridge and enjoyed snacking on
      two fish within 30 minutes. About 200 White Pelicans put
      on their aerial show further down by the Burris Sand Pits. The
      Cinnamon Teals were glistening as rich mahogany. Greater
      Yellowlegs were everywhere. American Wigeons were squeaking their
      serenity and well being, although there wasn't an Eurasian
      among them. The Green Heron thought he could sneak by, but I saw him
      anyway. The Belted Kingfisher was unusually quiet,
      watching the larger birds as they fished under the bridge. Three
      Western Scrub-jays escorted us as we worked our way down the
      river. The ever present Black Phoebes were showing off, while the
      Dowitchers didn't care at all who was watching them. After the
      Turkey Vultures had warmed up a bit they demonstrated their fine art
      of kettling. The American Kestrel crossed flight paths with a
      crow, and seemed to be none the worse for it. We totaled 40 species
      for the morning with the help of the humble Rock Dove and the
      House Sparrow. Wonderful weather was marred only by the millions of
      little flying bugs, none of them going anywhere in
      particular except on us.

      Truly good birding in OC,
      Delores Jenisch
      Fullerton CA