Geese at Huntington Lake

  • bed900hawo
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 8, 2009
      Birders,

      The morning after a storm has sometimes "pushed" water birds onto Huntington Lake at Huntington Central Park, so I decided to check the lake at about sunrise again. Only 300 Canada Geese were present with no cacklers or lesser Canada geese. The immature Ross's Goose was present, as well as the adult Ross's Goose, but also an adult Snow Goose today. The Greater White-fronted Goose also continues to roost at the park with the Canada Geese. All of these unusual goose species, as well as most of the Canada Geese, departed by 7 am. Other water birds present that are somewhat unusual on this lake included six Bufflehead (don't think I've ever seen this many at this location) and a pair of Lesser Scaup.

      Hopefully this roosting pattern of geese will persist until the OC Coastal Christmas Count (January 3 - it is on Sunday right?) as I've not heard of other "white" geese, white-fronted, or cacklers elsewhere in count circle. I've neglected to check the Ellis Street Pond (also know as Sully Miller Pond - an old quarry pond, I think), as it has supported overnight roosting of wintering geese flocks in past years.

      Good birding,

      Brian Daniels