Help a Birder??

  • JWeintraub@fullerton.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2001
      Anyone want to tackle this one? Write to him, not me.

      Joel Weintraub

      Date sent: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 12:31:33 -0400
      From: "Stephen R. Mirick" <mirick@...>
      To: jweintraub@...
      Subject: Birding in Orange County

      I will have about 1/2 day of birding when I arrive from NH on Saturday at
      noon and was hoping to bird for a bit in Orange County before I head
      north. I was considering the Palos Verdes peninsula OR the Upper Newport
      Bay/Newport Pier area. Would you recommend one of these spots over the
      other? Or another spot?

      I am specifically hoping for California Gnatcatcher and Allen's
      Hummingbird, but also saw the interesting report of Black and Least
      Storm-Petrels. Is there a reliable spot for Least Storm-Petrel? That
      would also be of great interest to me.

      Also, have there been any reports of pelagics going over to see the
      Island Scrub Jay? I think I will go for that on Sunday or Monday.

      I realize that this is late notice, but I just happened to see your name
      in the Orange County listserv site. Thanks for any quick help or advice
      that you might be able to give me.

      Steve Mirick
      Newmarket, NH