Bar-tailed Godwit, etc. - 10/31/09

  • short_eared_owl12
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2009
      birders,

      Well, I guess a post about this bird is pretty much superfluous by now, but I figured those wanting to chase it would be interested in more details.

      I first found the juvenile BAR-TAILED GODWIT at Upper Newport Bay around 11:30 a.m. It is at the easternmost end of the bay, near the Jamboree Road bridge. It spent most of its time on the rocky area near the bridge, but it also frequently wandered UNDER the bridge itself (foraging on the muddy margins of the creek), where viewing was problematic thanks to the road supports that blocked views much of the time. It also flew 100-150 meters upstream at one point.

      Parking is tricky. Your best bet would probably be to park along East Bluff Drive and walk from there along the bike trail towards the Jamboree Road bridge. Or, you can do what I did and ride your bike! :)

      A few other (barely) notable birds today:

      -American Bittern: one in flight near the old salt dike at Upper Newport Bay

      -Yellow Warblers: three in the willows lining the San Diego Creek between Michelson and Campus. Probably wintering birds.

      -Little Corona City Beach: (1) Parasitic Jaeger, (3) Pacific Loons, (400+) Black-vented Shearwaters

      happy godwit chasing,

      Neil Gilbert
      Orange, CA
      http://ocbirding.blogspot.com/

      PS - I'll try to post pics of the Bar-tailed Godwit on my blog tonight or tomorrow.