Greater Roadrunner

  • Delores Jenisch
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 29 6:53 PM
      We had a great two hours at San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary this
      morning, seeing most of the species checked on the Audubon House
      bulletin board. The highlight of the walk about was, without doubt,
      the hunting tactics of the Greater Roadrunner. It seemed to
      completely ignore the two of us (standing VERY still) as it worked
      both sides of the dirt path, under the bushes, and climbing up the
      branches of a small tree. We knew exactly where it was at all times
      because of the Alert! Alert! calls of the Anna's Hummingbird, at
      least five Common Yellowthroats and a half-dozen Red-winged
      Blackbirds in the rushes alongside the water.

      Delores Jenisch
      Fullerton CA
    • Evi Meyer
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 30 10:08 PM
        I went to Crystal Grove State Beach today with Bill Cullen, Tommye Hite and Bertie Wood. We walked down from the upper parking lot (where the shuttle starts) to the beach. By the beach we made a left turn and walked along the shore. About 100 yards from where we turned we saw a Greater Roadrunner foraging in the area where the sand stops and the vegetation starts. According to the lifeguards roadrunners are often found on top of the cliffs in the flatter areas, but never down by the beach. It was a fun sighting. Pictures can be seen at

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/evimeyer/7682040414/in/photostream/

        Evi Meyer
        Palos Verdes Estates
      • a055894
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 17, 2016

          Hi OC Birders, I went to Quail Hill and walked the Shady Canyon hiking and biking trail to Turtle Rock and back, hoping to glimpse a Blue Grosbeak, but to no avail.  Curious to hear from other birders who go there.  What trails do you take?  There were apparently at least two other directions I could take.

          Anyway, I did see this Greater Roadrunner, twice, or perhaps I saw two.  Since they cover a lot of ground I'm assuming it was the same one.  Also saw two California Gnatcatchers and lots of the more common species that you would expect.

          Roadrunner pics in Flickr.  Greater Roadrunner

          Rick Shearer

          Huntington Beach