Clapper Rail and the fish

  • Elsa
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 10, 2009
      I am putting up a picture of a Clapper Rail taken on Thrusday Morning at the Bolsa Chica. I thought it might interest you. The rail seemed to have caught a fairly large fish. There a number of people on the bridge and none of us had ever seen that before (some very experienced birders). The photo has two inserts, the square insert is just another pose of the bird with the fish in its mouth. I put in the oval insert because I now wondering if the bird caught the fish or simply found a "not too alive one in the water; I had about a dozen images of the bird with the fish in mouth, than his head disappeared in the weeds and I stopped taking images, when his head came back up no fish – so I assumed he ate it. I resumed shooting. However, several shots later in the series of images I took, he suddenly had the fish in his mouth again (the oval insert). So my question is do Clapper Rails eat fish, I thought they ate worm and insects? The picture is in the general folder.

      Elsa Weber
      Aliso Viejo