Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Orioles in Mission Viejo

  • Ed Stonick
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 16, 2001
      Hi!

      I live in Pasadena and often bird in nearby Eaton Canyon. There is a group
      of agaves in the canyon that flower in mid-July and are visited by large
      numbers of birds. Here, too, orioles tend to congregate in mixed groups
      with lots of juveniles. We have both Hooded and Bullock's with the latter
      predominating. Since you have them right at your feeder, it sounds like an
      excellent opportunity to study plumages and sort out the differences between
      the two. You'll probably want to consult several field guides; even then it
      will still be a challenge!

      Regards,
      Ed

      [Ed Stonick]
      stonicks@...

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 16, 2001
        Just an observation on oriole behavior in the summertime -

        Every summer I have one or more orioles, Bullocks and/or Hooded, which visit
        my tomato plants searching for caterpillars. Usually this task is done by
        females, some of which are feeding young nearby. They do a lot of
        chattering, exhibit very nervous jittery behavior, and are really noisy.
        After several days of this, during which time I try to stay out of their
        sight, they leave my garden for other sites. After they've left, I find
        there are many fewer caterpillars left in the area.

        Nancy Kenyon
        Irvine