Orioles in Mission Viejo

  • Allen, Bob
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 16, 2001
      Greetings.

      This weekend, my home in Mission Viejo was invaded by orioles! One day 6 (or
      so) were in my Alder tree in the front yard where they battled it out with a
      similar number of european starlings that had driven out our nesting acorn
      woodpeckers earlier in the year. The noise was really loud according to my
      wife to witnessed the battle. Then suddenly, the orioles and starlings all
      left the tree in opposite directions. The rest of the weekend, we were
      treated to the orioles visiting our feeders and (oddly) our tomato plants
      where they didn't touch the fruit but perhaps were looking for spiders and
      aphids?

      Some orioles appeared to be males, some females, and some juvenile. I've
      never heard of orioles hanging out in such groups; perhaps someone can shed
      some light on this? We're not sure which orioles they are. We've had hooded
      occasionally but they could be bullock's or perhaps scott's (not sure how
      common scott's appear here). They don't sit still and are very nervous by
      our presence, even though we're in the house about 10 ft back from the
      windows.

      Sunday morning, an acorn woodpecker reappeared and was cleaning out the
      nesting cavity in our alder tree, almost as if it hired the orioles to drive
      out the starlings so it could return! ;7)

      Bob Allen
      Co-Moderator, OC Birding
    • Ed Stonick
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 16, 2001
        Hi!

        I live in Pasadena and often bird in nearby Eaton Canyon. There is a group
        of agaves in the canyon that flower in mid-July and are visited by large
        numbers of birds. Here, too, orioles tend to congregate in mixed groups
        with lots of juveniles. We have both Hooded and Bullock's with the latter
        predominating. Since you have them right at your feeder, it sounds like an
        excellent opportunity to study plumages and sort out the differences between
        the two. You'll probably want to consult several field guides; even then it
        will still be a challenge!

        Regards,
        Ed

        [Ed Stonick]
        stonicks@...

        > This weekend, my home in Mission Viejo was invaded by orioles! One day 6
        (or
        > so) were in my Alder tree in the front yard where they battled it out with
        > similar number of european starlings that had driven out our nesting acorn
        > woodpeckers earlier in the year. The noise was really loud according to my
        > wife to witnessed the battle. Then suddenly, the orioles and starlings all
        > left the tree in opposite directions. The rest of the weekend, we were
        > treated to the orioles visiting our feeders and (oddly) our tomato plants
        > where they didn't touch the fruit but perhaps were looking for spiders and
        > aphids?
        >
        > Some orioles appeared to be males, some females, and some juvenile. I've
        > never heard of orioles hanging out in such groups; perhaps someone can
        shed
        > some light on this? We're not sure which orioles they are. We've had
        hooded
        > occasionally but they could be bullock's or perhaps scott's (not sure how
        > common scott's appear here). They don't sit still and are very nervous by
        > our presence, even though we're in the house about 10 ft back from the
        > windows.
        >
        > Sunday morning, an acorn woodpecker reappeared and was cleaning out the
        > nesting cavity in our alder tree, almost as if it hired the orioles to
        drive
        > out the starlings so it could return! ;7)
        >
        > Bob Allen
        > Co-Moderator, OC Birding
        >
        > To search for a bird discussed in past messages, browse or search the
        archives at:
        > http://www.egroups.com/group/OrangeCountyBirding/

      • Nancy and Richard Kenyon
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 16, 2001
          Just an observation on oriole behavior in the summertime -

          Every summer I have one or more orioles, Bullocks and/or Hooded, which visit
          my tomato plants searching for caterpillars. Usually this task is done by
          females, some of which are feeding young nearby. They do a lot of
          chattering, exhibit very nervous jittery behavior, and are really noisy.
          After several days of this, during which time I try to stay out of their
          sight, they leave my garden for other sites. After they've left, I find
          there are many fewer caterpillars left in the area.

          Nancy Kenyon
          Irvine