Baird's Sandpiper, Orange - 8/31/09

  • short_eared_owl12
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2009
      birders,

      This evening I had a gorgeous juvenile BAIRD'S SANDPIPER at the lake at Peters Canyon Regional Park in Orange. Other interesting shorebirds there today included (10) Lesser Yellowlegs, (15) Short-billed Dowitchers, and (18) Wilson's Phalaropes. Yesterday, I had a continuing SOLITARY SANDPIPER there.

      The rapidly-drying up lake at Peters Canyon has been excellent for shorebirds this fall so far; I've had fifteen species there thus far this season. Not bad for a small lake twenty miles inland!

      good birding,

      Neil Gilbert
      Orange, CA
      http://ocbirding.blogspot.com/