Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Re: HCP nighthawk

  • Doug Peltz
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 20, 2009
      My wife and I observed Lesser Nighthawks foraging in Irvine during evenings
      in late July. This was at the intersection of Modjeska and Portola Springs,
      not far from the former El Toro Marine Stationa and next to what used to be
      Lambert Reservoir.
      I presume that it's not unexpected or unusual for us to have seen Lesser
      Nighthawks in east Irvine? Nonetheless, given the excitement about Lesser
      Nighthawks being seen at HCP, I thought I'd share this
      observation. They're definitely in the county this summer! And they seemed
      to have little or no fear of us. One of them even swooped within six feet of
      my legs, seemingly intent on catching an insect that I'd inadvertently
      stirred up from the grass.

      Doug Peltz
      Portola Springs, Irvine, CA